I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Fed Up

Whew! I can't believe I managed to squeeze in 6 oz. of turkey, a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes, a 1/4 cup of stuffing, a 1/4 cup of squash, a sour dough roll, cranberry relish, a heaping mound of green bean casserole, a piece of pumpkin pie and a wedge of pecan pie! Yeah, sure. All of that and another piece of apple pie an hour later.

Seriously, I did pretty damn good with food yesterday. I got busy with getting ready to leave in the morning, so I never got the protein shake and ended up having just a sugar-free caramel latte from my Tassimo. During the drive north, I ate 1/4 cup of wasabi peas and 2 beef jerky pieces.

For our family dinner, I had about 2 ounces of turkey. And then I had two very small bites each of mashed and sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, a SF jello with cranberries and apples in it, my Hot Fat Apple Crisp made with caramel syrup and a different topping and then, for dessert, I had my own SF Upside-Down Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie--1/4 cup with a dab of whipped cream.

I ate slowly, chewed well, often proclaimed the deliciousness of my selections and really did clear my junior-sized plate from the table soon after eating.

Around 7 o'clock, I nibbled on a bit more turkey. That, unfortunately, gave my head free reign to obsess about every other leftover in the house. And the pies were all still out. So I snitched from this one, sampled from that one poked into another. In all, I must have eaten only about 5 bites. But I got sick. I felt like an alien baby was bursting through my pouch. But my head wanted me to keep eating. So I left. Better to remove myself from the situation than sit there later and beat myself up for overeating.

I think my advance planning saved my ass--or at least avoided the extra 3 pounds I might have packed onto it yesterday. My family was very supportive. No one tried to get me to eat something I didn't want to. (Yes, sad enough, this was a strong likelihood.) My grandma and grandpa raved about my faux pie and my brothers didn't even blink at the sugar-free apple crisp. Another thing...no one made a big deal about what I was or wasn't eating. That was nice, just to be normal.

1 comment:

Danyele said...

I think you managed the day really well Jen. It's so hard to seperate food from holidays and social events.. our emotions and memories relating to food are woven tightly into these special times. I'm sure that it'll be a process over several years to focus less on the food and more on the occasions and the people that we love. You've got one year under your belt and you're doing great. You should be proud of yourself. ((big hugs))