I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Buzzed

My mind is fuzzy, I can't concentrate and I have a nagging, low-grade headache. I'm weighing whether these side effects are worse than the ones I was treating with the drugs that are causing them.

For the past few weeks I've been having panic attacks. I went through this a few years ago when I was taking care of my friend Lainey during her last month. Same choking sensation, same chest-exploding pain, same stomach-clenching fear.

I got some drugs from my primary doctor, careful to get ones that aren't continuous release. But I feel so stoned. I wouldn't know if I was having another panic attack even if red lights started flashing and alarms sounded. I left work today because I simply couldn't concentrate.

I know enough about myself to realize when it's time to get help. Drugs were the first step. I'm going back to counseling. I think that the attacks are a physical manifestation of my inability to deal with something. I'm at least past the point of trying to eat through these times. I guess being stoned on paxil and xanax is a fair trade off for the time being.

No comments: