I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Monday, April 28, 2008

I hate statistics

I was surfing for info on drug combinations for treating eating disorders and found at www.medical-journals.com, an article on Bulimia Nervosa by Philip S. Mehler, M.D. So I have a 51-58% chance of avoiding remission with my current treatment protocol. I hope I'm reading that wrong.

A combination of antidepressants and cognitive–behavioral therapy appears to be more effective in reducing the frequency of binging and purging than either treatment alone. A review using data from seven trials involving a total of 600 patients to assess the effect of antidepressants (desipramine, imipramine, or fluoxetine) plus cognitive–behavioral therapy as compared with the effect of one of these therapies alone reported average remission rates of 42 to 49 percent with a combination of therapies and average rates of 23 to 36 percent with any single therapy. As a single therapy, cognitive–behavioral therapy was more effective than drug therapy. Patients in whom this therapy fails may have a response to an alternative therapy, but available data suggest that the response rate is relatively low in this situation. In a study of patients in whom cognitive–behavioral therapy had failed, the rate of response to interpersonal therapy was 16 percent, and the rate of response to pharmacotherapy (fluoxetine or desipramine) was 10 percent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuzzy math - the power of prevention is within YOU.
xo, Candi