I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Setting up Shop

One morning, when I was five or six, I woke up early, earlier than my parents and my little brother. Early enough that I knew if I snuck quietly passed the other bedroom doors, I could make it to the kitchen. And to the plate of bars that my mom's friend Gayle had sent home the night before.

I coveted those bars. I knew when I nibbled on one for the first time that I wanted MORE. And I woke up with that hunger grumbling in my kid belly.

So I took one. I shoved it in my mouth, chewing quickly, trying to hide the evidence before a parent appeared. And then I ate another, and another, and enough that when my mom finally noticed a couple of hours later, the plate looked empty. I undoubtedly looked guilty.

That was the first time I remember snitching food and trying to hide it. The first of many, many, many times.

I still feel like that little girl--more than 30 years later, more than 100 miles from my mom. Except now I'm a gazillion pounds overweight and desperate enough to stop the insanity to have had a RNY gastric bypass.

But, amazingly so, the more pounds that come off, the more that little girl fights to come back. Let's call her Shrinking Violet.

No comments: