I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Monday, November 07, 2005

The Real Me


One thing that appeals to me about blogging is the anonymity of it. I can basically be whoever I want on this page. Some people have asked if the Shrinking Violet photo is really me. No, it's not. It's some cool pic I lifted off another site. This is a photo of me, posing for the camera at work.

Some days the real me is what I think a skinny person would be like. I don't compulsively think about food. I don't use food to fill an emptiness. I don't punish myself for eating/not eating. It's what I want my normal to be like.

But most days I feel fat and helpless and at the mercy of food. I think about food more than my significant other. I spend more time planning my meals than I do planning my work. And I get pissy because my head wants more than my stomach can handle.

It irritates me how much I let my surroundings, my acquaintances, my circumstances control my food. I'm not saying that as an excuse. What I mean is that if I'm pissed at my boss and feeling out of control in a situation, I let myself get that way with food. If I'm feeling bored and anxious, I calm myself with food. If I'm frustrated and fed up, I feed myself. I know none of these things are the agents for my destructive eating. But I obviously haven't yet learned how to cope with it--what really maeks me not face upt to my emotions.

When I picture myself, I see my reflection in a McDonald's window. Fat chick with tartar sauce dripping off her chin because she can't get that Filet o Fish stuffed in her face fast enough. Even though I can't eat that stuff now, I still long for it. And I want to protect that fat chick smothered in tartar sauce. Because basically she's probably a pretty cool person who just doesn't like herself enough on the inside. So maybe if the outside changes, the inside will follow.

2 comments:

Kaye Bailey said...

Darling picture!

You know, I think we all still harbor the "fat chick" inside of ourself now matter the stage we are at. But I also believe for myself and others I know that changing the outside intrinsicly alters the inside - our heart & mind. For the best I hope!

Take care,
Kaye

Anonymous said...

Very cute pic!