I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Me!

My parents came to visit this weekend. We took them to a local restaurant where I indulged in Prime Rib, Twice-Baked Potato and Suffed Mushroom Caps. Of course, it was about 2 oz of the beef, 3 bites of potatoes and maybe a 1-sq.-inch piece of mushroom. But, damn, it was delicious. I don't think I've ever had a celebratory meal that tasted to good.

Today my dad and Rose stayed home to watch football while my mom and I went shopping. Casual Corner Annex is going of business and everything is 60% off. I'm wearing size 22 pants for work, so I thought I'd try on a 20. Fit perfect. So I didn't buy any. Why bother if they are going to be too big in another few weeks? Instead, I tried on size 18 pants. I actually got them buttoned. Not ready to wear in public yet. But they had these cool side snaps in the waistband to let you adjust the waist. Bought those in an 18 and a 16. And I picked up a few turtlenecks in a 1x. I also found this hot , knee-length black blazer in an 18. Damn, I looked fanfuckingtastic. But I couldn't justify even $44.

The coolest thing about the day? My mom wears a size 16. And I'm about 6 weeks away from that. I have always felt like I've not lived up to her expectations when it came to weightloss. I really don't care anymore (and haven't for most of my adult life). Now the fact that pretty soon I could wear her clothes is starting to freak her out. I could tell she was a bit weird about it. (Strange how people always expect you to be the fattest on in the family.)

It felt wonderful to try on clothes. And it was so hope-filled. I've never stood at the door of a new year and felt anticipation--or even lack of dread--about losing/gaining weight. I know it's going to happen. I know that I will not be the same person next year on this day as I am right now. I also know there'll be hard work required of me, and there'll probably be a bunch of disappointment along the way. But I've never felt so capable of change and growth (in spirit, not size) as a I do right now.

So to all my sassy sisters, fellow WLS souls and those who are trying in any way to conquer the beast of burden called obesity, here's to a wonderful new you, too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work! You give someone like me (pre-WLS) a lot of hope for what my future might look like next fall. Even with the tremendous sales on right now I can't justify buying new clothes I will only wear less than a season. Its fun to watch you shrink!

Dagny said...

I see you are experiencing that giddy, heady sense of possibilities, that Je ne sais quoi... an overwhelming sense of feeling NEW and CHANGED and even, yes I'll say it, EMPOWERED.

This rocks.

Kaye Bailey said...

Congratulations - I am so happy for your sense of anticipation & Celebration! Thanks for sharing!

Kaye

The Catapillar said...

Great Job!!! I bet it felt great...

\ /
\o/
|
|
- Here's to a new you!!! :)

bye said...

Fabulousness -- simply fabulousness. All the best to you sister.

Sandi Hooper said...

I want to read the post from you when you're SMALLER than your mom!!!! *eg* I haven't revealed to my family yet, and I've lost almost 40 pounds. They're guna freak. Who was it that said, "living well is the best revenge"? I know it's not about revenge, but sometimes that devilish feeling is so delcious...

I agree with dona, "This rocks."

Carol Haney said...

Hey Jen,

Just found your blog, compliments of Bariatric Girl. I'm pre-surgery and I'm really enjoying your blog, especially this last post. You just described how I'm feeling right now - the hopeful and optimistic part anyway. Reading all about the changes you experienced on your journey makes my heart sing. You go, girl!!!