I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Connecting the Dots

I had a breakthrough this week, a shift in perception that has the potential to change my relationship with food.

I was in a restaurant Monday night. Dinner was ordered. The salad came first. I ate a sufficient amount and left enough room for the main course. However, the main course was delayed. When it finally arrived, the food wasn't what I had expected based on the menu description and, for what it was, it wasn't really that good.

I complained to the waiter, then ate what I thought was worth eating just so I could get in my protein. Soon, of course, I was full. But I wasn't satisfied. I was still disappointed about the food. I was unhappy about the delay. I was irritated by the inconvenience of not eating in the time span that I like to eat. My stomach was telling me I was full--but my head was still hungry because it wasn't satisfied.

And that's when I realized that hunger and satisfaction have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. I can be full and not be satisfied. Conversely, I can be satisfied and still feel hunger. For the first time ever, I actually experienced (or noticed) the disconnect between my head and my body. I recognized that no matter how full I felt, I still wasn't satisfied because the reality of the experience didn't meet my expectations. Even if I kept eating, I still wouldn't be satisfied. In fact, I'd end up feeling even worse because I'd soon enough feel guilty for eating more than necessary.

So I put down the fork and said I was full. Unsatisfied, but full.

The waiter eventually brought a replacement entree. It looked worlds better. Yes, I wasn't hungry. But I felt like I could take a taste--and just one taste--because I understood that I was going to do it for the satisfaction of it and not the hunger. Make sense? So I did take a bite. It was perfectly grilled and absolutely delicious. Then I was satisfied. Not satiated. But satisfied. And that one bite was enough. I didn't have feel like I had to gobble down the whole thing.

It all goes back to being aware of my emotions and understanding the relationship between my emotions and my body. Tuesday night I got home late and wanted to eat. I thought about it and realized I wasn't hungry. I just needed to feel connected. Food would not make a satisfactory connection. It would just make me feel more disconnected from myself because I'd be eating for the wrong reasons.

Yep, that proverbial light bulb went on. It's bright. Grab your shades.

3 comments:

Dagny said...

Dang we need a Sassy Fatty Seminar and Encounter Group! Come to Chicago, girl!

Mamato2boys said...

I am in Awe of your revelation. It is such an awesome place to be able to see those things and act on them in the moment. For me it seems I can see those things but only in hindsite. Do you think that your surgery has enabled you to make the change to where you are able to work on the mental part or do you think that it is a totally separate tool?

Thanks in advance,
Ang

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and insightful revelation! I have been reading a book on Buddhist ideals, and their thoughts on cravings, and it often mentions how you should strive for contentment instead of cravings. Just like you made the connection that you were not content.

I am happy you were then able to use your new insight again at home! Wonderful!