I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Larger than Life

I was wrestling with my food demons last night, running through my litany of self-talk. Addressing a chunk of teriyaki steak from a half-eaten Applebees kabob, I said, "I don't need to eat you. I don't want to eat you. You are not bigger than me and can't make me eat you."

(I know, I know. I talk to food.)

Then I had this thought: I have often perceived food, namely my obsession with it, as something bigger than myself. In fact, many things in my world that feel like they are out of my control, beyond my understanding, at odds with my desires or needs, have always been perceived as BIG in my mind's eye.

So I wonder if I made myself physically larger by eating to try to be "bigger" than the problem. The more I struggled with food, the bigger I became. If I was bigger than the problem, then I could beat it.

Now I'm small and I think I finally could be bigger than the problem.

3 comments:

bye said...

miss you sunshine

Anonymous said...

You talk to Kabobs... I talk to doughnuts. What's the big deal? LOL

floreta said...

interesting concept..

I think also that by talking to your food you can belittle the problem as well. and make it smaller... show who's boss. :)