I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Doing the protein purge

I am detoxing from crackers--again. So yesterday was a protein load. A double whammy protein shake in the morning, a protein bar, chicken for lunch and dinner, peanuts as my salty snack. And my protein coffee. Today, another double whammy shake and protein coffee. Lunch, more chicken and edamame. Dinner, probably the same. I brought an apple for a snack as my crunch fix.

If I feel so much better when I DON'T eat the crack(ers), then why do I do it? Tell me!

3 comments:

Danyele said...

Crackers are of the devil. I'm glad that most of them give me a tummyache, especially Cheez-Its. I could eat a box by myself in my former life. I came across this recipe .. haven't made it yet but it sounds good. Maybe these would help you get that crunch without the carbs.

"L-C Its

These actually do taste like those famous little cheese crackers. I've tweaked the original recipe to make it more like a regular cracker in taste, and give it a little more spice.

1 1/4 Cup Sunflower seeds, raw
1/4 Cup Almond flour
1 1/2 Cup Cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (the sharper the better)
1/4 Cup Water
2 tsp. Ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Coarse salt

Preheat your oven to 325 F.

Using a food processor, grind up the sunflower seeds and almond flour until it makes a fine meal. Add the shredded cheddar, cumin and salt, pulse to blend. Add 1/4 cup of water and pulse until it forms a sticky dough.

Place some parchment paper on a large cookie sheet (don't try to grease the cookie sheet and skip the parchment, it won't work), then, using a spatula, place the dough on the parchment. Place another sheet of parchment on top, and using a peanut butter jar (I found this works better than your hands, and a rolling pin is too big) spread the dough out in an even layer. Remove top sheet of parchment, lightly sprinkle with salt and score the cracker dough with a knife.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, and remove to a rack to cool."

JUST JEN said...

YUM! Those sound great! I think the thing with crackers is that the carbs are addicting. If I don't eat any, then I can do without. But once one crosses my lips, I'm doomed!

Miss Tiffie said...

carbs are easy to snack on foods... moreso than protein but i'm more of a protein girl myself!!