I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Challenge

I met last night with my outpatient dietitian. I really respect this woman. She gets where I'm coming from: a lifetime of dieting and desperation, reluctant to follow a meal plan that "feels" like a diet, scared to death of NOT following a meal plan because without it, the chance for recovery is greatly reduced.

So during the conversation I have come to accept:

1) My meal plan is a guideline. Not a bunch of rules. Not a diet. Not a pass or fail situation. Not a lose weight or gain weight plan. It's just learning to eat in a way that my body needs in order to receive adequate nutrition.

2) Calories suck. And so does counting them. So I'm not doing it anymore. My snack exchanges are now to be thought of as choosing foods from different groups, not just consuming a wad of calories from whatever I want or can reach.

3.) Scales suck even more. I gave Anne my beautifully decorated inspirational scale because it was STILL doing a head trip on me. And I realize now that every time I step on it, I lose a little bit of my confidence and gain a lot of doubt. Every time I step on it, I feed my eating disorder. One time, the scale was my very best friend as it ticked off the melting pounds post-WLS. But now it's just a judge, a finger pointer, a scab picker. I'd like the wounds to heal.

4.) I do not know how to shop for food that isn't diet food, isn't sugar-free, isn't low-fat, isn't reduced in some way or another. I have been drinking diet soda since forever. I've been using artificial sweeteners even longer. I've got to learn how to shop without label reading, comparison and calorie counting. But how? I have NO IDEA where to start. Anne suggested a trip to the yogurt shelf. One minute. No label reading. The very thought is overwhelming. How do you know what to buy if you've never had it before? And how do I eat something that I KNOW has 3 times the calories of what I normally eat? This one is going to take some work.

5.) I don't have to be perfect. I just have to be me. Tall order, I know. But since I'm starting to understand me better, I think I can handle it.

And on a totally unrelated note: I climbed the rock wall today and reached the top. Yes, I did it once on a cruise and got half-way up. So really, why try again? That was a big enough feat for me. The problem though is that I was afraid I'd fail if I tried again. And being good at something only one time is worse than never being good at it. So the fact that I got to the top? Big deal. The fact that I harnessed up and walked to the wall, taking that first step as I grabbed high? That was the success. I tried again. If I could do this, I could try again at a lot of things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen - Boy can I relate to the five items you have listed. I have struggled with my weight from a child own. Like you I don't know a life without obsessing with food, the number on the scale. Your post made me realize I wasn't alone in this battle. Now if we only can learn how to beat this mindset. Thanks for sharing.

arielfreak said...

Jen, you continue to impress me with your commitment to recovery. Those are not just items ticked off on a list of 'things to accept'. They are damn hard, crazy hard things. Mountains to climb. But you are climbing. And you have yourself a set of very healthy goals there.

And way to make it to the top :)

Anonymous said...

Jen,

The fact that you tried and are trying on a daily basis whether old things or new things, you have succeeded with just the word "trying". You are succeeding day by day at your own pace, in your own space and that takes every bit of concentration you can give. Be very gentle to you. Take time and you will find your serenity. As far as the food goes, I was advised to go to the fresh vegetable and fruits for starters, no lables there. Thanks for working so hard on you.

Melting Mama said...

#4 Freaked me the fuck out, and I am not even on your plan. Phew. It gave me instant anxiety.

Heathen said...

#4 freaked me out too. I also think the rock wall is quite a metaphor for most of my the struggles I have faced in my life. So often I tried to do something and failed the first time or was not good at it immediately and that was it. I would never try again out of fear of failing.
Once again you amaze me.

Heather E

KC said...

Yikes, I don't know how to shop for non-diet food either! That one's going to be really tough. I really relate to your post.

Jenn said...

Jen,
Just catching up on your blog. One suggestion I had, which is something that has shifted my thinking in a BIG WAY away from diet food, was reading Nina Planck's book, "Real Food" - http://www.ninaplanck.com/ - she did a fantastic job of showing how fat free foods actually make you fatter; and how eating whole food (re: if your great gramma didn't eat it, it's probably not a whole food) can satisfy you sooner, feeds your body better and fills you up faster. Since, I eat whole milk yogurt (!!!) but maybe only 1/2 the container; i drink raw milk; i eat BACON; and I stay skinny and mostly keep my head on straight. A companion read is Omnivore's Dilemma, he makes a lot of similar points. It really made me see "diet food" as worse (BY FAR) than the supposedly added calories of "real food." just a tip!
xo
jenn