I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

So a Wisconsin legislative committee voted to move forward with an ammendment banning marriage or civil unions for gay and lesbian couples. Like the state doesn't have more important things to deal with than who I choose to spend my life with.

Here's what the ammendment comes down to: Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state.

And more from the AP:


Wisconsin law already defines marriage as a union between a man and a wife, but amendment supporters fear a judge could invalidate the statute and order the state to recognize gay marriage, as happened in Massachusetts.

Opponents say the amendment would write discrimination into the state constitution and could strip gay couples of any legal recognition, such as health care benefits.

Some friggin' religious zealots decide that their marriages are less valid if gay people actually get the right to visit pay more taxes together? What the fuck?

Let us alone. Let us just live our lives like everyone else can. I don't want a piece of paper. I want assurance that if Rose names me her durable or medical POA, one of her crazy ass relatives from out of state can't turn around and challenge it and win because what we've created with legal documents functions as a marriage. Gimme a friggin' break.

As my friend Sven said, this country is too busy spreading freedom across the world to worry about freedoms at home. If fucking South Africa can make G/L marriages legal, then why the hell can't this shit hole country?

I have to say, it sucks.

3 comments:

Dagny said...

What the FUCK??? Wisconsin used to be so liberal! What's going on up there??? I may never eat another cheese curd dammit.

JUST JEN said...

I know, pretty damn pathetic for the state that was the first in the nation to protect civil liberties of gays. Bastards.

The Catapillar said...

I myself am not in a same sex relationship however, what I hate about it is that anyone who invests their time, blood and energy into a relationship should have the right to make final decisions. In line with what you said if one partner dies the other is left as an outsider while the family shoots in and doesn’t always listen to the person who knew them the best. It is heart breaking. Marriage is more than a piece of paper but, that paper provides a since of security. It is every human’s right to invest in a relationship and not have it ripped from them when times are rough. We can only pray that if they want to separate religion from government they do it wholly not when it suits them.

Houston just did the same thing!!! You would think such a diverse place would embrace the differences and celebrate that so many wonderful people are contributing to the community.

I wish you and yours the best.