I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I spent most of my day at work reviewing recipes. I'm a book editor and 95% of the titles I do are food related. I have access to this incredible database of recipes and for most books, I sort through it to come up a brand-new gotta-buy-it idea.

A few months ago it would have driven me crazy with craving if I had to read food all day. Once food was on my mind, my obsession would grow until I had so much food inside of me, I'd want to puke or until I couldn't take it anymore and I'd go to bed to escape it.

I think I'm still obsessed with food--just in a different way. I don't obsess so much about eating a lot and getting in as much as I possibly could without missing out on a single bite. But now I obsess about making the right food choices...how do I know that bite of [fill in the blank]is really worth the space it's going to take up. I can think about dinner from noon until I sit down for that meal. Now, though, when I do sit down to dinner I'm not instantly out of control. I eat what I planned and then move on. Does that make sense?

I don't know if that's healthy or not. Normal or not. I guess I should just be grateful that I can think about food all day without gorging at night. I wish, though, that I wouldn't have to think about food at all.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I don't think it's unhealthy at all to think about food, and it sounds like the way you're dealing with food now is incredibly impressive! I've been struggling with snacking at night lately, and it's driving me nutso! Just keep doing what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet cheeks, you are just fine. I freakin love to still watch the food channel.

Blessings,

Craig T