I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Living with the enemy

When you live in a 15 x 15 room, food is literally always within arm's reach. I sleep 2 feet from the fridge. I watch TV 2 feet from the fridge. At least the toilet is on the opposite side of the room.

I got this place to spend some quality time with myself and to sort my head out after all these drastic, scary, incredible, freeing, exhilarating changes. I didn't think about the fact that I'd be squeezing, shrinking, limiting the space between myself and my next bite of food.

If I'm busy, it's not a problem. But if I'm watching TV, reading, on the computer, I am also thinking about food. What's in the fridge? What's in the cupboard? Should I rearrange it? Do I have enough? Should I go to the cool grocery store and see what else there is?

I feel like someone trying to escape a life of crime, get out of the bad, violent neighborhood--but who instead opts to move into a military war zone, bad, violent and--the worst part--sanctioned by someone.

So here I am. Me, myself and I. And food. Question is, who's the real enemy?

2 comments:

M said...

Hi Jen,
It sounds like you are settling into your into your new life. It certainly is different than what you left, I'm sure. I understand the feeling that food is near and accessible. Suddenly you can hear the wheat thins calling to you. It is tough. And relentless. You can do it. Look how far you've come already! This is just another little bump in the road.

M

bye said...

Jen!

I miss you, come to Chicago!

Your SF Sister