I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Beg, Borrow, Steal

Always having been the larger or largest person in any given group of people, I never took part in traditional lending, borrowing or swapping of clothing articles. Anyone would drown in my clothes. And me fit in their clothes? Uh, no.

But yesterday, a delightful pixie-like co-worker asked if she could try on the sweater I was wearing. My first response was "It's way too big!". Her reply: "No it's not. Let me try it on."

For the past many months I've had people tell me constantly how different I look, how good I look, how skinny I'm getting, blah, blah, blah. Within the last month the refrain has changed to "how much more are you going to lose" or "you're not going to lose anymore, are you?"

So hearing people express their thoughts on my shrinking girth is nothing new. But being taken into the normal girl's club is. No one has ever asked if they could try on my clothes. No one with exceptional style, like this co-worker, has ever hinted that they'd even consider trying on my clothes.

I feel like I learned the secret passcode that gets me lifetime admittance to the tree house. People's perceptions of me have shifted. And I've become less leary of those perceptions, more trusting. A few months ago I would have felt like I was getting set up for a nasty joke. Today, I feel like I've achieved coolness status that makes me untouchable.

I let her try on my sweater. And it was too big, just as I had thought. Then again, it's too big for me, too.

3 comments:

Amazlilith said...

Wow, what an incredible feeling...Although, does it ever bother you that they have to make any comments about how much you are losing?

JUST JEN said...

It bothers me that first I was too fat and now I'm too skinny. Whatever. Just like I used to have tough skin from the fat insults, I now have to toughen up for the skinny comments.

Mamato2boys said...

Two big for BOTH of you! I love that! Revel in all of these little moments you sure have earned them!

Also just remember that people have a very skewed vision of you as they saw you as you were before. I think the best judge is somebody that has only known you recently telling you that you have gotten too thin. Not the people that have seen you at your highest.
I have made the mistake of doing that to a friend and after she gained her weight back I realized that I just wasn't used to seeing her cheek and colar bones. Did you know those things are SUPPOSED to stick out! Heh!

Smooches xx
Ang