I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Weighing the facts

Cruising the WLS Grad board on Obesity Helpthis morning, I found a link to figure out how much I should weigh.

I am a 39-year-old woman who is 5'6" tall. The calculator tells me that most women my age and height who classify themselves as leading a sedentary lifestyl weigh 162 pounds. The medical ideal for my body is 131. A realistic goal weight for me could be 144.

I'm only 14 pounds over a normal weight. FOURTEEN POUNDS. I can't imagine getting down to 144 or ever 131. I don't think I want to because I think I'd like gaunt.

I've had 158.5 in the back of my head because I would have lost half of my weight at the time of surgery. And when pressed for a goal, I give people 147 because I always do mini goals in 10-pound increments and that would make a loss of 170 pounds.

But dang, 162 sounds good to me. I could live with myself at that weight. I'm already at a weight that I have absolutely no recollection of ever seeing before. (After my 185 weight in 8th grade, the next lowest weight milestone I can recall is 125 pounds in 2nd grade--as a SEVEN YEAR OLD!)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

hey jen!
what's so funny is that i'm almost to my 1-year and my goal is 177 for that - why? because i remember weighing 135 in 5th grade, and then 180ish as a senior in high school. Twice I've managed to get to 178 (both times)- once at 19 and once at 27. So, 177 is the number I've not ever seen, as far as I remember. So that's my goal. One month to go to 1-year, which would put me at an 85 pound loss (good work for a lapbander :)
You are doing so awesome! It's fun to watch you shrink :)
~Jenn

Danyele said...

Thanks for that link.. it was really helpful. It's hard now to envision myself under 200. The last weight that I remember was 202 when I was a junior in high school.

Amazlilith said...

What I find interesting is that we all know what we weighed at different ages. Is it only us or do others do the same thing. I know how much I weighed at 10 years old.