I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Rummage Sale Wonder

I busted my ass this week for my annual Rubber Stamp Rummage Sale. Once a year, I clean out my rubber stamp warehouse, the 10 x 10 room where I stash the creative toys and tools, and offer the goods to the greater rubber stamping community in Southeastern Wisconsin at obscene discount rates. Let's just say that yesterday I made enough money to pay a couple months of mortgage payments. Yep. A HUGE success.

But who cares. What I really want to write about was the strange and unsettling reactions I got from people that haven't seen me since February.

One woman walked up to me, handed me her load of goodies and said she was ready to check out. And then said "Where's Jen? I haven't seen her yet." I replied with "I'm right here." She jumped she was so startled. She really didn't know it was me.

Another gal was coming over to pick up our youngest cat-child, Lola, who was going to the kitten spa for 2 weeks. (That's what we told the cat. Really, she's going to "stop peeing in house" boot camp). Anyway, this woman walked 50 feet toward me. Smiled. Said hello. Asked where Rose was. And then said, "Jen, is that you?" Why, yes it was me!

And finally, another acquaintance chatted me up for a while. Then she comes out with "something looks different about you." Sure. That would be the missing 100+ pounds since you saw me the last time!

All in all, the day was amusing. People would come in, say hi and then go to the back of the garage where they'd then discuss my bodily changes. Hello, people, the garage is ony 15 feet long and I can HEAR YOU!

It was all quite amusing. I can't wait until next year when I change from caucasian to east Indian. Yep, that will keep 'em talking.

4 comments:

bye said...

hey skinny woman,

save your bag-o-remains for a poor chicagogo teacher. my kiddies will like it and i have pennies with which to pay.

pee pee boot camp eh? i could have used that fer meself when i was a kiddie.

;)KT

ps~ shopping soon?

Mamato2boys said...

Oh I wish you lived closer. I really need to learn the fine art of stamping. Mostly to make cards with. I am afraid of spening my whole pay check though.

I love the reactions. I think changes sexes or race would be the only thing that would get more response

Amazlilith said...

Congrats on the rummage sale...wish I was closer I love stamping.

You seem to have a good humor about peoples reaction to you. Which is wonderful. Was it ever difficult?

JUST JEN said...

It's not always been easy taking in people's reactions--fat or thin. Early on in this WLS process, post-op, I was very mistrustful of people's opinions. Everyone seemed so eager to compliment me that it felt like they must have thought I was a fat slob before. Not necessarily true. I think I've learned to better gauge people's intentions.