I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Anniversary

Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of my commitment ceremony with Rose. We've been together since '94. In '04, we celebrated 10 years with 100 friends and family members in attendance at a church ceremony, followed by a beautiful outdoor reception.

I don't even recognize these people in this photo. I remember looking at this picture when it came back from the photographer and thinking that Rose looked beautiful and I looked like a fat pig. Even now, I see the outfit I didn't want to wear, but settled for because it was the one that fit. I see the sweat trickling down my fat face. I see how I practiced holding my bouquet so that it covered the mound of flesh in the middle of my body. Why the hell didn't someone tell me that there was no way 24 roses would cover enough of me to make a difference?

It pains me to look at this picture. It reminds me of how we were, how I don't want us to be anymore.

My weight loss forced a lot of changes on both of us. We weren't ready for hardly any of them. Neither of us had even a small inkling of how far-reaching the effects of my surgery would be. If someone would have told us we'd separate 18 months after this photo was taken, we would have laughed at them.

But here we are. We celebrated our anniversary by moving more of my stuff from the apartment back to the house. I officially gave notice to the landlord when I paid the September rent. The separation is over. We managed to weather it all and still find each other in the midst of finding ourselves.

We're lucky. I know. I wish I had a picture of us today. Together.

6 comments:

Amazlilith said...

Happy Anniversary! I wish both you and Rose all the best. I am so happy that you were able to find your way home.

I really shows the strength of your relationship that you both have been able to grow and still come back to eachother....

Diva said...

awww, Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!! You guys sure looked happy together back then and I can only hope that happiness grows with each passing day.

SignGurl said...

I see only beauty in this picture. Happy anniversary!

Jenn said...

Congrats, Jen, on your reconciliation and anniversary! I wish you only the best!

ShirleyValentine said...

Happy Anniversary Jen!
I am glad this last year has been one of growth and love. May this next year bring you nothing but love, laughter, and good health!
Susan

Too Fat To Fly... said...

All the best to both you and Rose.

May there be many more happy years ahead...

x