I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Forgiveness

If there's one thing I've learned in the past year, it's that I have the capacity to forgive. Myself. Others. The Universe. God.

I've had a number of incidents pile up that, when partnered with introspection, have led me to realize that very few hurts can't be forgiven. I've waded through broken trusts, bitter words, biting comments, hasty judgements. Whether actual or perceived, their presence has rested heavily upon me. I could carry them with me, coddling them. Or release them. Move on. Grant myself permission to feel the sting and then heal. Sometimes we are the best at heaping salt on our own gaping wounds.

I've come to know that for me, the internal act of forgiveness is more important than speaking the words. Sometimes, those I need to forgive don't even understand the why, the what, the how. And really, why bring up something that may never be understood? Had they known their actions were hurtful, they may never have acted.

So to myself and to others, both known and unknown, I extend that proverbial olive branch. No apologies needed. None expected. All's forgiven, forgotten.

No comments: