I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Forgiveness, part 2.

Back in January I wrote a post on forgiveness. And interesting things have happened since.

I've reconnected with two people that I purposefully had distanced myself from. One of those because I could forgive. One because I opened myself up to communication because of the post. And then yesterday, I received an apology from a third person.

I had never expected this person, a former boss, to apologize for the final bitter year we worked together. It was painful for both of us back then. We were too much alike in some ways and very, very different in others. Whenever I saw her after we stopped working together, my stomach would clench and I'd instantly feel anxious or angry. I just couldn't let go.

In January when I wrote that post, I really lumped her and lot of other people in this group that may or may not need forgiveness. I just needed to forgive and forget. Since then, I had really beenok with all of those perceived or real wrongs. They weren't "wrong" anymore. They just "were".

I don't know if her apology came yesterday because I was open to it, more approachable. Or because the elements in the universe were aligned. Or because of some divine intervention. But it's an interesting feeling today to walk into work with a different sense about me:all's right in my world.

I am amazed at what has transpired. How my unspoken act of forgiveness that, in some ways was just as forgiving of myself as others, has had such a ripple effect. It's brought changed people back together again and offered resolution, peace.

Imagine if we all could take steps to walk away from hurts. Not necessarily forget them, just release the pain. It makes me think that the most important part of reconciliation isn't apology. It's forgiveness.

3 comments:

Melting Mama said...

I wrote a comment here. Then, I deleted it. Because, the song lyrics keep popping into my head. "Forgive, sounds good, forget, I don't think I could.. I'm not ready to make nice, I probably wouldn't if I could."

Your post makes sense. I can forgive some things, some people. But, others, I can't, they were really really wrong.

JUST JEN said...

Forgiving for me has proven that it's not necessarily saying "you weren't wrong." As I'm experiencing it, forgiving is letting go. And sometimes, really, it takes a long, long, long, long time to do it.

Donna said...

"Imagine if we all could take steps to walk away from hurts. Not necessarily forget them, just release the pain. It makes me think that the most important part of reconciliation isn't apology. It's forgiveness."

Indeed. I can vouch for that. Forgiveness is worlds harder than eating pride to give a well-deserved apology. Took me 23 years to "forgive" my Father for things, and still I struggle to remember that I've "forgiven" him and that it's time to move on. That's just me though.