I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Delicious Dining after WLS

So I spend my days reading recipes. Editing recipes. Writing about recipes. I have over 40,000 recipes at my disposal for perusing. And every now and then I run across some, like Maple Salmon with Mushroom Couscous that I MUST try for myself.

If anything I've learned post-op, it's that any recipe can be modified to suit my nutritional needs. With this recipe, for example, I substitute sugar-free maple syrup. I skip the couscous. And I load up on veggies. Well, load up on anything as well as someone with a stomach the size of an egg can load up on.

I love changing recipes. I read them and I get ideas for what I can do to make them lighter, heavier in protein, lower in carbs, etc. The things I've learned about food from reading recipes all day is amazing.

I think I'd really enjoy a job where I could reformulate recipes for bariatric patients. I see some cookbooks that people put together and they are just crap. Especially the ones circulating on WLS support boards. Crap. Crap. Crap. And unimaginative, too.

Maybe I'll do my OWN cookbook some day with my OWN recipes. And not one of them will be for lame-ass protein shakes or protein balls.

6 comments:

Melting Mama said...

ITA. Get crackin'.

Anonymous said...

I like maple syrup, I like salmon, I like mushrooms and couscous...but combined? Yikes.

JUST JEN said...

Think of a glaze on the salmon. The soy sauce adds some saltiness and cuts the sugary flavor. I've also used this glaze combo on chicken.

Danyele said...

Do it! I'd buy it!

Anonymous said...

I'd buy that book. You betcha.

Micehelly said...

Mmmm...that salmon sounds good. I am constantly trying to teach myself to enjoy fish and that sounds like something I might like.