I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Up and at 'em!

I'm up early this morning. Earlier than usual. It must be the anticipation about my first pre-workday work out with the trainer. I head to the studio for a 6:45 work-out, then into the office.

Short day today as this is D-DAY (departure day). We're leaving mid-afternoon to get stuck in Chicago traffic on our way to some dinky town called Fremont in Michigan's lower peninsula. Why, you ask. Because I'm meeting the not-so-lawful in-laws for the first time.

Although Rose and I are coming up on 13 years of almost domestic bliss, I've yet to meet most of her family. The ones I have met have fallen in love with me immediately, of course. But the ones I haven't? Well, there's a reason why I haven't met them yet.

I come from a small close-knit family. She comes from a huge clan with sisters older than my parents and nieces older than her. She's got a bazillion great-great-great nieces and nephews. And from what I understand, they're all loud. And not my family.

In the past, I have had big issues going into huge crowds of strangers. I feel insecure, awkward, self-conscious. I don't know if this will be any different. I know they know things about me that I don't know about them. And I know that ALL know that I'm the bitch that left Rose a year ago to strike out on her own and then came crawling back. (Ok, so I'm GUESSING this is what they think.)

I'm just ambivalent about the whole trip. I'm sure it will be fine. But the driving will suck. The food will be a challenge (I can only pack so many protein bars). I pray the hotel at least has free HBO.

Worse case scenario? I guess I could end up having fun and want to go back once a month for family time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is coming from someone who lives very close to Fremont and whose Husband drives thru it every day... Good luck with the free HBO.. You are headed to red neck ville...:) Its a charming town but we could not even found a place to rent there.. So have fun!!! :)