I CHOOSE

...to love myself.
...to treat myself gently, with patience and respect.
...to accept responsibility for every aspect of my life.

...to be present, awake, aware.
...to be open to possibility.
...to leap with the intention of landing.
...to do amazing things.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Say it ain't so: a recent WLS experience

I had to sit with this experience for a bit before I could write about it. Here's the deal...

Last week I attended a support group through my bariatric surgeon's office for people who are 1+ years out from gastric bypass/banding surgeries. I go infrequently, as I sometimes feel very disconnected from that community, especially since I've been meeting my eating disorder issues head on. But I needed the fellowship. I needed some support. I want to feel like I made a good decision to have the surgery (which I do) and that I'm doing everything possible to make it a success.

This particular meeting, the topic came up around nutrition. What to eat, what not to eat, etc. I have worked very, very hard the last 8 months or so to get rid of my food fears and to return to a balanced eating plan that incorporates all food groups in appropriate ratios to fuel my body. It's difficult for me to "buy into" the bariatric stance held by many people that protein should be the majority of your calories, especially since I have had to adjust this belief myself and move on to a different one. I get edgy and have to learn to accept that other people's nutritional needs may not be my own and that we all follow our own bariatric program.

The regular facilitator wasn't there for this conversation. Instead, one of the nurses ran the group. I have really liked this woman since I first met her at one of the pre-surgery seminars. She's down to earth and, having had RNY herself, understands much of what we patients go through. So when she said that we really don't need to eat carbs to survive, I was floored. She's a nurse! How can you not need carbs? Sure, screw the white bread and sugar doughnuts. But
fruits? vegetables?

The conversation continued with people wondering what kinds of proteins they can have if they don't want to eat meat for breakfast. C'mon! We were all 1+ year out from surgery. We had all been to the program's nutritionist for several sessions before and after surgery. So, I offered yogurt as an option. The response: that's so high in carbs!

Frustrated. Fragile. Unwilling to have to explain why I'm trying to eat the way I am. I actually got up and left the meeting. I couldn't deal with the conversation. I needed to protect my personal nutrition beliefs and meal plan as best I could or I'd never, ever get back to healthy eating. It felt that black and white. I felt that desperate to NOT be a part of the conversation.

On one hand, I'm so disappointed that I didn't get the support that I needed from the meeting. In fact, I felt more alienated and alone. I'm also disappointed to hear this information spoken as truth by a medical professional. Maybe I am wrong. Or rather, maybe I was right: carbs are evil. In which case, I'll never eat another potato, slice of bread or cracker again. But for now, I HAVE to eat those things in appropriate amounts and proportions at appropriate times.

I probably won't go back to a meeting. I need to move away from the rigidity of the immediate post-op nutrition plan. I need figure out a way to eat for the rest of my life. And, while the conversation about nutrition might not always be on the table during these meetings, the mindset is always present and, to me, pervasive.

Now 2 years and 11 months out from my surgery, I am at the point where the surgery is not the defining factor of my life. It's part of it. It is not who I am. I am Just Jen. If I let my status as a gastric bypass patient define me, I might as well hang accept that I am a fat ass. Or that I'm a food freak. Or that...[fill in the blank].

I feel very disconnected from the bariatric surgery community. I don't need to be connected to this community per se. But it saddens me that my experience won't fully be a part of it. In this particular circle, the story of the middle-aged woman who went from compulsive eating to surgical anorexia to bulimia will be lost. Not that my story is all the important or unique. But there just doesn't seem to be room for it in the rosy world of many post-ops. And I think there should be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOATHE my surgeon's support group. I don't mind the people that run it as much as the average intelligence of the room on any given night.

I'm 18 months post op, have maintained a 130 pound loss for the past 7 months and eat carbs every day, in fact at most meals. I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted out of the meeting, and surely a nurse should know better! Yogurt? C'mon, it's a great choice.

YOU know your body and are working hard to take it back from the ED, don't let this get you down...trust yourself the best you can.
KB

Anonymous said...

Ack, I'm sorry you didn't get the support you needed, too. I attend no support group, though I do depend on some of the folks who had the same kind of WLS I had around the same time I had it -- and on folks who are further out than I -- as points of comparison and contrast.

But sometimes I've got to go my pwm way. I participate on a Weight Watchers discussion thread I helped found 6 years ago called "Afraid to Lose" for some of the head work behind all of this. A lot of my WLS peers say, "Oooh, WW -- yuck!" Well, all I know is that the online group is really helpful to me.

The further out from surgery we get, and the more we integrate it into our lives, the more we need to think for ourselves and work out solutions that are healthy for US.

As for carbs, EVERYONE needs them. Um, no, I don't need to eat the bread products in the quantities that I love -- but the complex carbs in dairy? Some vegetables? The DS routine calls for low carb/high protein, too, but geez -- let's get real about what that actually means rather than reciting it like a parrot.

Hang tough.

Meghan said...

Sometimes I think the danger in a WLS support group setting is that it's a bunch of abnormal eaters trying to define what's "right" and "wrong" for everyone!

I've come to the belief that it's ridiculous for any of us to try and know precisely what food DOES in our bodies, or the ups and the downs of every food choice, or the endless possibilities and combinations of foods to obtain optimum INDIVIDUAL health. Food is still a mystery. So I eat as much variety as I can, in the best balance I can approximate, and don't try to figure it out to death.

Eliminating entire food groups just FEELS wrong.

You stick with what works for you. And know that in most WLS communities, it's the blind leading the blind. Keep telling your story, keeping doing what you know, and you ARE a part of the WLS community, no matter what your role is!

Kris said...

I have been following your blog for awhile now. I stumbled upon it when googling information about eating disorders after gastric bypass surgery. I had my RNY 4 1/2 years ago and was the poster child for following the rules. Clearly, I had issues with food that allowed me to get to 315 pounds. Those issues went into hiding in the glorious post-op honeymoon. Life changed last year. Even though I can't binge by the strictest definition, I can purge on cue with the best of them. That's one side effect that the whole WLS community doesn't want to deal with. Now, I don't tolerate milk products very well and I'm a vegetarian. That's strikes 2 and 3 in my support group. So, I don't eat meat and I do dairy in very limited amounts. What's left? Carbs and caffeine. And the "talent" to purge either or both at will. I have only experienced a regain of about 20 pounds and will likely fluctuate for the rest of my life.

I've outgrown my support group. I end up leaving with this thought in my head: that's 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Listen to your heart and body and fight those demons the best way that you know how. That's all any of us can do.

Anonymous said...

Jen. Support groups really blow.

I have been to TWO in the last year. Two separate groups, and both sort of kicked me OUT and did not invite me back.

:/

I feel that we each have our own rules that we have to live by and some stupid "WLS RULES" that we must break.

Anonymous said...

That nurse sounds, at the very least, grossly uninformed. I agree with KB - joghurt is a great choice and with Deluzy that we all need both carbs and support. This doesn't sound like a group that fits your needs or is willing to understand your experience. Your gut instinct is right on target: it's not a safe or good place for you or your psyche. I'm 18 mos out and maintaining a 200+ loss. Don't let this misinformation shake you - be like the tree standing by the water with deep roots.

*S*

Unknown said...

My last sentence got lopped off: "There is room for all of us by the river."

*S*